Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:21:05 +0100 From: Jean-Paul Berthias To: Henno.Boomkamp@esa.int Cc: jries@csr.utexas.edu, feissel@ensg.ign.fr, Markus.Rothacher@bv.tu-muenchen.de, John.Dow@esa.int Subject: Re: proposed JASON campaign Hello Henno, I just had discussions with Carey Noll about hosting the GPS data to start the campaign, and the same issue came up about the time frame that would be most suitable. I propose that we choose among the cycles that were processed as part of the CalVal effort, so that reference orbits are already available to help people start. This leaves with 10 cycles of data, which is more than enough (a Jason cycle is 10 days long). We could select cycles 15 through 18 which are maneuver and events free. However that would only cover the yaw steering mode. There is interest in the Jason POD side to validate results obtained at GSFC and JPL concerning phase center location variations with the attitude mode. To confirm these results, fixed yaw data should also be processed. But you might want to leave that for a later campaign. Best regards, Jean-Paul P.S. I will review your document and send you my comments in a couple days. From jean-paul.berthias@cnes.fr Thu Jun 17 14:20:38 2004 Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:27:56 +0100 From: Jean-Paul Berthias To: Henno.Boomkamp@esa.int Cc: jries@csr.utexas.edu, feissel@ensg.ign.fr, Markus.Rothacher@bv.tu-muenchen.de, John.Dow@esa.int Subject: Re: proposed JASON campaign Addendum to the previous message: for those of you who are not familiar with the jason cycles, the proposed campaign would cover the month of June 1 June 2002 = doy 152 = cycle 14 / half-orbit 203 1 July 2002 = doy 182 = cycle 17 / half-orbit 209 This does not correspond exactly to 3 full cycles in the Jason sense, but it is still 3 cycles long. It is optimally designed to be satellite events free (you can see from the attached file that there are no maneuvers or attitude mode changes during this period). I also do not remember of any problem with any of the instruments during this period. One issue with choosing dates that are not in phase with Jason cycles however will be the construction of the altimeter crossovers data. But I am not clear how altimter data will be used in the campaign anyway. Let me know how you feel about this proposal. Best regards, Jean-Paul