Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:34:57 -0800 From: Pascal Willis To: Martine Feissel Subject: Fwd: Choice of satellite codes for CGGTTS standard format >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:27:10 +0100 >From: "W. Lewandowski" >Subject: Choice of satellite codes for CGGTTS standard format >To: wlewandowski@bipm.org > >To the CGGTTS distribution list: > >Dear Colleagues, > >At the request of Judah Levine, the chairman of the CCTF Group on GNSS >Time Transfer Standards (CGGTTS), I am forwarding you his comments and >questions about the choice of satellite codes for CGGTTS standard >format. > > >With best wishes for upcoming holiday season and the new year, >Wlodek Lewandowski >Secretary of the CGGTTS > >----------------------------------------------------------------------- >Dear Colleagues, > At the recent meeting of the BIPM committee on time transfer >standards, which was held in San Diego the evening before the >PTTI meeting, we discussed the problem of combining the data from >different satellite systems. As you may recall, we suggested using the >100s digit of the SV/PRN number to indicate the source of the data. >However, there are a number of different satellite systems that are now >operational or are proposed, and it would be best to adopt a system that >was compatible with as many of them as possible. > The SV number is treated as a numerical value by many of the existing >programs, and it would be best to preserve this design. Therefore, using >a prefix letter to identify the source of the data is not desirable, >since it would cause problems with many existing programs, which expect >only a numerical value in this field. (However, this would be possible >in principle if no other solution can be found.) > I am writing to ask for your assistance and advice in this matter. >Please help me by answering the following questions: > > 1. Do you currently use data from systems other than GPS or do you >plan to do so in the near future? Other systems include GLONASS, or any >augmentation system. > 2. If the answer to question 1 is yes, how do you identify the >source of the data? Do you use the SV/PRN number or some other method? > 3. Do you have any suggestions about how the data from the >different satellite systems should be identified? If we were to >decide to use the 100s digit of the SV/PRN number for this purpose, do >you have any specific suggestions about which values to use? > >Please reply to me or to Wlodek at the BIPM. It would be most helpful if >you could reply by the end of January. > >Please forward this letter to any colleague who might be interested in >this matter. > >Thank you for your assistance and advice. > >With best wishes for the new year, > >Judah Levine >Chair of the CGGTTS >Time and Frequency Division >NIST Boulder >[jlevine@india.colorado.edu] >________________________________________________________________________ >_ > > Wlodzimierz Lewandowski E-mail: >wlewandowski@bipm.org > Bureau International des Poids et Mesures Phone: +33-1-45-07-70-63 > 92312 Sevres Cedex, France Fax: +33-1-45-07-70-59 > Web site: www.bipm.org >________________________________________________________________________